The first series of Foundations in Freelance contains six modules:
- Contracts I
- Contracts II
- Billing, Rates & Fees
- Agency Partnership
Each module contains a two hour session of half lecture, half question and answer. Followed by sessions are independant work options available to all attendees to fill out and return for feedback. Along with weekly sessions over six weeks a group chat is available for discussion topics to fortify the concepts taught within each cohort.
When CEUs are being certified, the take home work accounts for .8 or 2.0 available within the course.
Why is this course important?
- Because interpreters are often not given access to information about how to freelance correctly and support themselves enough to maintain long term stability.
- Agencies should not be the only channel by which clients can obtain an interpreter. A healthy market includes choice.
- If we understand the business of what we do as interpreters, we can do it better.
Why did I do this?
- Because most interpreting programs can’t.
- Because agencies don’t.
- Because this field continues to exploit the ignorance of interpreters supporting it.
- Because I was lucky enough to have a mentor who refused to be taken advantage of and taught me to do the same. Now, I can teach you.
I’ve been consulting in the interpreting field for the better part of a decade. I’ve yet to see a single client gain enough knowledge of this field to navigate it on their own and regret it.
If you’re interested in learning more about the course, you can check out the flyer below or visit Flamingo Interpreting to register for the next cohort!
I hope to see you there!